Historical & Folklore Museum of Therisos

The Historical and Folklore Museum of Therisos

Theriso MuseumThe museum was set up in 1985 and is housed in the building which was used as military headquarters by Eleftherios Venizelos and his co-fighters during the Therisos revolution.

In 1905, the future prime minister of Greece, disagreeing with Prince George’s stance, reached Therisos with the aim of declaring the union of the island with Greece.

Until 1908, the revolutionaries printed a newspaper named after the village, issued their own stamps and coins and made their own cartridges.

Venizelos StampTheriso PrinterTheriso History

The museum has exhibits from that period, a full archive and photographs, weapons, personal items that belonged to Eleftherios Venizelos, army uniforms, as well as the flag of the movement.

Historical and Folklore Museum of Therisos
Phone: 28210-93543, 78838
Opening Hours:

Thursdays – Sundays: 08:30 – 14:00 and 17:00 – 20:00
(in winter only in the mornings)
Admission: free

Chania (Hania)|Heraklion (Iraklion)|Rethymnon|Lasithi