the famous monastery of preveli
The Preveli Monastery is one of the largest, most important and historic in Crete.
Preveli Monastery Map
Built on an imposing site typical of the southern Cretan landscape, it is fairly isolated since there never was any nearby human settlement.
Its correct name is the Monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos (Saint John the Theologian), or the Theologos Monastery of Megalos Potamos.
The name Preveli probably comes from the prominent family of that name with whom the monastery’s fortunes were linked.
The Preveli monastery was one of the major centres of revolt against the Turks in 1821, 1866-69 and 1896.
It developed mainly during the 18th and 19th centuries and is a patriarchal and stavropegiac monastery.
During World War II, it also played an important part as a number of Allied soldiers sought refuge here before being spirited away in submarines to the nearby Libyan coast.
Throughout the war it was a centre of resistance and a communications centre with Allied forces.
The Preveli monastery has two main building conglomerations.
The Lower Monastery (Monastery of Agios Ioannis Prodromos, or Saint John the Baptist), now abandoned, is a typical example of simple, everyday architecture.
The Rear Monastery (Monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos) is a large group of buildings with a wonderful view over the Libyan Sea and has numerous relics which are exhibited in the monastery’s ecclesiastical museum.
Monastery of Preveli
Opening Hours: April 1 – October 31: 09:00 – sunset Closed on weekdays between 13:30 – 15:30 Winter visits by appointment
Admission: 2.50 €
Bear in mind that when visiting an inhabited monastery your clothing should be appropriate; shoulders and knees should be covered.